Sunday, April 16, 2006


SUGAR ART

After watching too many food network specials, I've become obsessed with sugar art - creating sculptures out of sugar. While I haven't yet achieved the ability to create 4 foot tall works of art, I was pretty proud of my first foray.

You have to melt the sugar to 320 degrees and then wait for it to cool enough to the touch. Then add coloring, trying not to burn yourself and sculpt it into something that looks decent. Josh and I created a lot of blobs before I figured out how to make the ribbons. I added red and blue coloring to make this one (the sugar has a yellow hue, so that's where the green comes from). I then wrapped the sugar around a turkey baster to keep the curl until it hardened enough to keep the shape. I definitely need a lot more practice but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Probably a few classes would help me improve.

More photos at my flickr page.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool!!

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home