Wednesday, November 09, 2005

So many things to comment on...

BULLS AND BUCKLE BUNNIES

I have been in vegas for work for the past 2 weeks, so in addition to being my normal lazy self, I did not have internet access in the "fabulous" Excalibur hotel and I did not feel like paying for internet, so no updates. But here I am...

The reason I was in Vegas was for the TLC show I've been working on, which actually has a title now: "Beyond the Bull." Much to my surprise, bullriding is actually quite addictive and after spending weekend after weekend around these guys, you actually form quite an attachment. I feel like after the show is over, I will still follow it to some degree, especially since Josh is addicted to it and going to an event is nothing like anything else you've ever been to. The production value is amazing (pyrotechnics, lots of music) and the crowd knows more about the riders than any other sport. The riders are also extremely approachable and most sign autographs at the end of each event. Now that the season is over, it will be weird not to have the events to look forward to each weekend (not to mention the work). Oh well.

Vegas was the finals for the season and there were 8 rounds of rides to follow. The winner was a guy named Justin McBride, who has come close to winning the past couple of years but someone always eeks out ahead. His last ride was amazing - he basically was bucked off but refused to let go so he rode the bull sideways for the last few seconds. Then, after the buzzer at 8 seconds, he jumped off, and there was this huge dogpile of riders and bullfighters, which happened right in front of my camera so I got the best shots ever! There was confetti and million dollar bills dropped from the ceiling. The crowd was screaming and you couldn't help but get totally wrapped up in the excitement of it all. Amazing.

The last assignment for the show that I have is to help cover the wedding of one of the riders over Thanksgiving. I was planning on going to Oklahoma anyway to spend Thanksgiving with Josh so now my flight is being covered and I get paid to travel. Not too bad. It will be interesting to see his life out in Ardmore, where he's been basically living for the past 4 months.

LET IT NOT SNOW.......

Otherwise, I'm back in LA now and it's weird to see all the Christmas stuff start to come out. I drove through Griffith Park the other day and it was eerie because they have the trail of lights stuff out, but not set up completely, so it looks like a graveyard for tacky Christmas decorations. Palm trees and Christmas don't really go together, but a few of the regular trees are changing color so that's nice to see.

INK DOT HAPPY...

Yesterday was elections on a series of propositions in California and I was happy to see that all were defeated. I actually voted, the first time since the 2000 election (I was out of state for the 2004 election and never got my mail-in ballot), so I actually felt like I kind of knew what was going on. The biggest defeat for me was Prop 73, which would have required a minor to give parental notification in the case of an abortion. No one, especially a minor, should have to put themselves in danger of an abusive situation just because a bunch of old men deemed it to be that way. Sure, you want every parent to be supportive of their child, no matter the situation, but that's just not the case and I would rather avoid the issue than for it to take someone getting seriously hurt or killed for the law to come back on the chopping block. It will be interesting to see how Arnold handles this setback, especially since the props have gotten dems even more riled up against him.

TWO MOVIES IN ONE DAY

After voting I went and saw Jarhead. Beautiful movie that was quite good. The Iraq stuff was amazing and there are some amazing visuals with the sand (don't want to spoil the magic for those who haven't seen it). Jake Gyllenhaal is fantastic and can carry the film and Peter Sarsgaard is a perfect compliment. Even Jamie Foxx, who can be overpowering, fit in to the ridiculousness of the film. (And yes I did need to look up how to spell Gyllenhaal and Sarsgaard).

After Jarhead, I went for something lighter and saw North Country. Not as good. Charlize Theron was good but it felt like another "make her not as attractive, yet still more attractive than anyone else in the film and let her cry to Oscar glory" film. It was also cut oddly, with a lot of flashbacks and flashforwards that were more confusing than helpful. There was also the rally the troop speech at the end that never seems to fit. Definitely better pictures than this one this year.

Today it's raining so I need to determine how motivated I am to getting out and about. Don't have too much to do, but I should go to the bank and the grocery store for the things I forgot yesterday. Maybe I'll walk with an umbrella (shocking!) and not have to deal with my car (which is getting "washed" so yay!). I also bought a huge basil plant at trader joes yesterday so maybe i'll figure out something to make with basil (yum!). Later gators...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am excited to see 'jarhead' - hopefully abby and i can finally rally the troops (ourselves) and see it. i really wanted to see 'north country' when i first saw the trailers and read about it in premiere, but no one has had much to say about it that is positive. so, maybe not then.

i highly recommend 'shopgirl'.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas and palm trees can work...if it's what you're used to.

Then again, even though I never grew up with white Christmases (or even REALLY cold Christmases), I did feel that Chicago-weather felt a bit more Christmasy.

And, truthfully, making children sing 'Let it Snow' in elementary school choir in Florida is just plain cruel

1:30 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

i realized that i haven't seen snow in years. it get chilly in texas but no snow. i might be going to rhode island for new years - that would be my first snow in about 3 years...yeesh

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home